13 October 2008

Cannot Print with PDFCreator

After many hours of trying to diagnose a problem with PDFCreator I think I have found the culprit as Norton Antivirus 2009 (NAV2009).

The problem I had was that (prior to upgading to NAV 2009) PDFCreator created PDFs files without any problems. Immediately after upgrading to NAV 2009, the print process seems to start but I never got the PDFCreator save dialog box.

Looking into this more carefully, I opened the PDFCreator printer which showed no jobs. When I started a print job from any application (e.g. MSIE, EXCELL, notepad) I noticed that the job was spooled to the printer and the status of the print job (in the PDFCreator printer window) started as Spooling-printing and then changed to Printing and then changed to "Deleting - Printing - Printed". These different statuses all occured in less than one second.

I was using PDFCreator 8.1 and so I upgraded to PDFCreator 9.6 but still got exactly the same results. Eventually I looked at the Norton Antivirus 2009 logs and lo and behold there were many entries for:
  • Risk Level = Medium
  • Activity = Unauthorized access blocked (Open Process Token)
  • Status = Blocked

In every case the "Actor" was "C:\program files\pdfcreator\pdfspooler.exe" and the "Target" was "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Norton AntiVirus\Engine\16.0.0.125\ccSvcHst.exe".

I will report this problem to Norton and see if they have a solution to their problem.

UPDATE: 2008-10-14 00:46 GMT - Norton have given me a problem number.......

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Apparently have same problem but did not know when it started, but also have Norton AV 2009. Same exact symptoms: appears to spool, no file name reqest (although I found a setting in the 9.6 upgrade that did cause a filename request, but it still not not print to disk (even though it goes thru the que process).

Unfortunately, a search of Norton website did not hit any solution or reference (except a virus that may copy itself to various names including PDF creator).

Hope you post update.

ADM said...

There are active forums about this problem at PDFForge and Symantec:

http://www.pdfforge.org/node/2058

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=nis_feedback&thread.id=22576

Best Choice said...

Thanks for the information in the comments. I have followed them up and here is my solution to using PDF Creator with NAV2009....

Open the NAV2009 window.
In the "Computer" section, click on "Setting" which openes a new NAV2009 window.
Near the bottom is a drill and "Miscellaneous Setting" - click on it to open up that section.
In the "Product Security" sub-section change "Norton Product Tamper Protection" to OFF.

Then quickly use PDFCreator to print your document before resetting "Norton Product Tamper Protection" to ON.

NAV2009 is a bit of a dog's dinner as far as I am concerned as it has been a lot of hard work to get it to work with PDFCreator AND after installing Windows/XP SP3, windows no longer recognised NAV2009 as anti-virus software! But that will be another post.....

Best Choice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Best Choice said...

The situation gets even worse when NAV2009 expires.

Once NAV2009 has expired, you cannot make any setting changes. So my circumvention, for the problem of PDF Creator not printing with NAV2009 installed, cannot be implemented!

Am I forced to renew NAV2009 so that I can change its setting so that PSF creator will print? Or shall I try another anti virus product?

piXelman said...

I fixed it by switching to BullZip PDF Printer. It works fine w/ my NIS 2009. Seems to be faster too, but I didn't time it.